Cloud Application Engineer
Hi there! We’re WillowTree and we’re glad you found us. Hopefully, you're here because you’ve checked us out and maybe you’re looking for a new challenge. Yep, we can help you with that.
Do you spend time thinking about what it takes to run applications in the cloud? Do you believe 12-factor apps are the future? Do you hang Martin Fowler's every word? Us too!
At WillowTree, our backend technology stack varies by project, so we value flexibility and willingness to learn. Currently, we have projects hosted on AWS, Azure, PCF, and Heroku. They’re written in Java, Clojure, C#, Golang, and Node. We build services that enable outstanding user experiences on mobile, web, and voice. If learning about those things and working in an eclectic environment with great people sounds good, we'd love to talk to you!
Your technical background:
- A depth of experience with a server-side programming language — Java, Scala, or other JVM languages; C# or other .NET languages; Node.js — and a breadth of experience in others
- Experience writing apps for AWS, Azure, GCP, Heroku, PCF, or other cloud providers
- Experience designing and building 12 -factor apps that run and scale easily in the modern cloud
- Written apps deployed to production environments that delight users
- A deep understanding of how to design RESTful APIs optimized for responsive, interactive mobile experiences
- Work with relational & non-relational databases — schema design, index strategy, querying, and performance tuning
Working at WillowTree isn't just about your technical skills though. We value people who are kind and work well as part of a team.
You'll love this job, if:
- You enjoy collaborating and communicating with teams and clients to deliver software in an agile environment
- You’re driven by curiosity and willingness to learn new technologies
- You’re passionate about durable, secure, scalable systems, always up and running
- You know the difference between a unit test, an integration test, and an end-to-end test. And you believe the job isn’t finished until your code is covered by unit tests
- You take pride in your work and take responsibility and commitments seriously
- You value time to immerse yourself deeply in your work
- You treat others with consideration and respect
- You celebrate differences and thrive in an environment where everybody’s unique contributions are welcome
- You’ve worked with microservices architecture
- You’ve worked across the stack— including mobile apps or front-end web (HTML, JS, or CSS, including React) — and it informs how you build APIs
- You’ve implemented the circuit breaker pattern with libraries such as Hystrix
- You’ve used service discovery tools such as Consul or Eureka
- You’ve packaged your apps as containers using Docker, Kubernetes, etc
- You have a GitHub account to share. Also, while you are at here, check us out @https://github.com/willowtreeapps
We'd love to check out a project you're proud of to start our conversation.
P.S. In an ideal world, you match with all the bullets we listed, but let’s keep it real. WillowTree builds teams with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. If you’re smart and passionately curious, don’t worry about checking all of the boxes. Don’t overthink it. We enthusiastically encourage you to apply.
Why WillowTree?We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with commitment a culture that focuses on building connections, optimism, craftsmanship, flow, and ownership. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We care about your total well-being and our benefits package aims to keep you and your family well — physically, mentally, and financially. In addition to the benefits you’d expect — competitive pay, health insurance, 401k, etc — we’re committed to creating a culture of continuous learning and support. Part of your professional development at WillowTree will include an annual conference, mentorship, and dedicated time to innovate.
Founded in 2008, WillowTree is a mobile design and development agency whose mission is to bring together a team of smart, motivated people who take pride in their work and strive to be the best in mobile. We cultivate a collaborative environment that focuses on continuous learning and unlimited opportunities to have a huge impact; and, of course, we also ship lots of code!
At WillowTree, we work with companies like Zappos, PepsiCo, HBO, and Mattel to solve real-world product strategy, design, and technical problems. There's always something new and exciting to work on, and the results of our efforts get shipped to users' devices every day.