Backend Software Engineer
Hi there! We’re WillowTree and we’re glad you found us. Hopefully, you're here because you’ve checked us out and maybe you’re looking for a change. Yep, we can help you with that.
Do you agree that anything short of optimal performance can ruin a mobile experience? Us too! At WillowTree, our backend technology stack varies by project, so we value flexibility and willingness to learn. Currently, we have projects hosted on AWS, Azure, PCF, and Heroku. They’re written in Java, Clojure, C#, Golang, and Node. We talk about 12-factor apps, monoliths and microservices, unit tests and load tests, service discovery and circuit breakers. If learning about those things and working in an eclectic environment with great people sounds good to you, we'd love to talk to you!
Your technical background:
- A breadth of experience with languages — Java, Kotlin, or other JVM languages; C#, F#, or other .NET languages; Node.js, Go, or another server-programming language
- Work with production AWS, Azure, GCP, Heroku, and PCF deployments
- Design, build, deploy and scale fault tolerant systems used in production by a large base of users
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of REST and API design, that extends beyond buzzwords
- Work with relational & non-relational databases - schema design, index strategy, querying, and performance tuning
Working at WillowTree isn't just about your technical skills though. We value people who are kind and work well in a team.
Is this you?
- You enjoy collaborating with teams and clients to deliver software in an agile environment
- You’re driven by curiosity and a willingness to learn new technologies
- You’re passionate about durable, secure, scalable systems that are always up and running
- You get excited by load tests throwing hundreds of thousands of users at your service — and roll with and learn from the inevitable (and hopefully rare) failures.
- You take pride in your work and take responsibility and commitments seriously
- You value time to immerse yourself deeply in your work
- You enjoy collaborating and communicating, treating others with consideration and respect
- You celebrate differences and thrive in an environment where everybody’s unique contributions are welcome
- You have experience with the full stack including HTML, JS, or CSS, including React
- You have expertise with container-based deployment - e.g., Docker or Kubernetes
- You’ve automated large-scale systems with Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- You’ve built a few apps, published is a plus. We’d love to check out a project you’re proud of to start our conversation.
- You have a GitHub account to share. Also, while you are at here, check us out @https://github.com/willowtreeapps
P.S. In an ideal world, you’re a star with all the bullets we listed, but let’s keep it real. WillowTree builds teams with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. If you’re smart and passionately curious, don’t worry about checking all of the boxes. Don’t overthink it. We enthusiastically encourage you to apply.
We care about your total well-being and our benefits package aims to keep you and your family well — physically, mentally, and financially. In addition to the benefits you’d expect — competitive pay, health insurance, 401k, etc — we’re committed to creating a culture of continuous learning and support. Part of your professional development at WillowTree will include an annual conference, mentorship, and dedicated time to innovate.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with commitment a culture that focuses on building connections, optimism, craftsmanship, flow, and ownership. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
Founded in 2008, WillowTree is a mobile design and development agency whose mission is to bring together a team of smart, motivated people who take pride in their work and strive to be the best in mobile. We cultivate a collaborative environment that focuses on continuous learning and unlimited opportunities to have a huge impact; and, of course, we also ship lots of code!
At WillowTree, we work with companies like Zappos, PepsiCo, HBO, and Mattel to solve real-world product strategy, design, and technical problems. There's always something new and exciting to work on, and the results of our efforts get shipped to users' devices every day.