Principal Software Engineer
Do you want to build amazing products people love to use with a team of people you’re invested in? We’re looking for Principal Software Engineers who can provide engineering leadership for our teams and clients at WillowTree. Specifically, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the technical excellence of our projects as well as developing and mentoring various engineers across software engineering and test (e.g. web, Android, iOS, test engineers etc).
You’ll have the opportunity to impact a number of people throughout various stages of their careers and be instrumental in their personal and professional growth. Additionally, you will be highly involved with our products and the processes behind them. You’ll have clear oversight of how engineering runs day-to-day and will influence project outcomes and team happiness.
We’re seeking people who have strong opinions that are weakly held to help us progress and scale our organization.
- Have led the delivery of large and complex software projects from beginning to end in a team-based environment
- Possess excellent engineering leadership skills and have led/mentored a team
- Enjoys mentoring others to help grow their technical and interpersonal skills
- Have a deep understanding of software engineering and established best practices
- Continuously identify obstacles and improve the process of how we build software
- Are self-aware of their limitations, yet are curious to learn what they don’t know
- Are approachable and maintain a calm demeanor in stressful situations
- Are strong communicators and can navigate ambiguity
- Help their team understand changing priorities and carry out shifted goals
- Embody the growth mindset and applies this in their leadership style
- Can successfully communicate across multi-disciplinary teams including client and stakeholders with differing goals and backgrounds
- Are strong advocates for researching new tools and technologies to help innovate their projects and teams
- Are comfortable having difficult conversations and always have their clients’ and teammates’ best interest in mind
- Are motivated to build amazing products that people love to use
We’d love for you to have:
- 12+ years of experience in a software engineering capacity
- 3+ years of engineering leadership experience — including leading teams and developing individuals in their career
- Experience conducting 1:1s with individuals
- A desire to contribute sound recommendations and influence product decisions
- Experience working with clients and project teams to produce something awesome
- Experience working with diverse teams made up of various backgrounds and skills
- Proficiency with one or more of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering, Software Testing)
- Experience in a client services environment (e.g. digital agency)
- Experience conducting interviews and hiring for your team
- Experience with coaching
- Experience working in an agile environment
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with commitment a culture that focuses on building connections, optimism, craftsmanship, flow, and ownership. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We care about your total well-being and our benefits package aims to keep you and your family well — physically, mentally, and financially. In addition to the benefits you’d expect — competitive pay, health insurance, 401k, etc — we’re committed to creating a culture of continuous learning and support. Part of your professional development at WillowTree will include an annual conference, mentorship, and dedicated time to innovate.
Founded in 2008, WillowTree is a digital design and development agency with a mission to bring together diverse, smart teams who want to continuously hone their craft. We cultivate a collaborative environment focused on continuous learning and unlimited opportunities to impact our clients, products, teams, and company as a whole.
At WillowTree, we work with companies like Zappos, PepsiCo, HBO, and GE to solve real-world product strategy, design, and technical problems. There’s always something new and exciting to work on, and the results of our efforts get shipped to our customers’ devices every day.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.