Backend Software Architect
At WillowTree, we partner with companies across industries to create seamless digital experiences for mobile, web, and voice. We’re looking for backend software architects who can define and execute architectural decisions and advocate for best practices as we grow our backend team. Our backend technology stack varies by project, so we value flexibility and willingness to learn. Currently, we have projects hosted on AWS, Azure, PCF, and Heroku. They’re written in Java, C#, Golang, and Node. If learning about those things and working in an eclectic environment with great people sounds good, we'd love to talk to you!
Your technical background:
- Deep understanding of modern cloud system architecture (e.g. Cloud Native, scalability, REST, Microservices)
- Enjoy designing and building 12-factors apps to run and easily scale in the modern cloud (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, Heroku, PCF)
- Expertise with at least one server-side programming language and framework — Java, or other JVM languages; C# or other .NET languages; Node.js, Express, ASP.NET MVC, — and perhaps a breadth of others
- Experience designing and developing APIs to be consumed by a variety of clients (e.g. web, mobile, voice)
- Experience with relational & non-relational databases — schema design, index strategy, querying, and performance tuning
- Defines and executes architectural decisions — database selection, API style (RESTful, GraphQL, Mobile Sync), integration points communication, API gateway, etc.
- Considers best practices for scaling, security, and caching
- Strong appreciation for CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI) and experience setting up deployment pipelines
- Constant curiosity to explore and refine through A/B testing
Working at WillowTree isn't just about your technical skills though. We value people who are kind and work well as part of a team.
You'll love this job if you:
- Enjoy collaborating and communicating with teams and clients to deliver software in an agile environment
- Are driven by curiosity and willingness to learn new technologies
- Are passionate about durable, secure, scalable systems, always up and running
- Know the difference between a unit test, an integration test, and an end-to-end test. And you believe the job isn’t finished until your code is covered by unit tests
- Take pride in your work and take responsibility and commitments seriously
- Value time to immerse yourself deeply in your work
- Treat others with consideration and respect
- Celebrate differences and thrive in an environment where everybody’s unique contributions are welcome
- You’ve worked with microservices architecture
- You have a deep understanding of HTTP
- You’ve established best practices for security and monitoring
- You’ve worked across the stack— including mobile apps or front-end web (HTML, JS, or CSS, including React) — and it informs how you build APIs
- You’ve implemented the circuit breaker pattern with libraries such as Hystrix
- You’ve used service discovery tools such as Consul or Eureka
- You’ve packaged your apps as containers using Docker, Kubernetes, etc
- You have a GitHub account to share. Also, while you are at here, check us out @https://github.com/willowtreeapps
We'd love to check out a project you're proud of to start our conversation.
P.S. In an ideal world, you match with all the bullets we listed, but let’s keep it real. WillowTree builds teams with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. If you’re smart and passionately curious, don’t worry about checking all of the boxes. Don’t overthink it. We enthusiastically encourage you to apply.
Founded in 2008, WillowTree is a digital design and development agency with a mission to bring together diverse, smart teams who want to continuously hone their craft. We cultivate a collaborative environment focused on continuous learning and unlimited opportunities to impact our clients, products, teams, and company as a whole.
At WillowTree, we work with companies like Zappos, PepsiCo, HBO, and GE to solve real-world product strategy, design, and technical problems. There’s always something new and exciting to work on, and the results of our efforts get shipped to our customers’ devices every day.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.